Biyernes, Setyembre 6, 2013

Contempt

In all honesty, this is the only film (I watched in Cinema Class) that made close my eyes. Seriously. 

Le Mepris (Contempt) is a film by Jean Luc-Godard.



The film is obviously an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. This is why it started with staffs filming another movie. 

It also showed scenes of the married couple, Camille and Paul on a bed expressing how they love each other. This established that this couple is really in love.

However, later on the film, when Prokosch hires Paul to write the script, there were scenes showing Prokosch's interest to Camille. Unfortunately, it was as if only Paul didn't see it. 

Then the film basically revolved around Paul not caring whether someone is or is not attracted to his wife, and Camille losing feelings and love for her husband. 

This film is very conversational. The story depends on the script or the dialogue. If you're not aware of the Odyssey, then missing a single scene is a horrible risk you must not take. 


I have to commend the cinematographer for making a splendid job. The camera positioning is very effective that it invoked tensions and triggered the audience to think. 

But, I still have to say, that I was not taken by this film. I think it's too long or the conversation scenes took so much time. I don't know, maybe I'm just not a fan of such films. I often look for films that excites me, apparently, Contempt didn't. 


3 komento:

  1. It is NOT an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. Not at all. It is a film about some people trying to do a screen adaptation of the Odyssey, with the lives of the protagonists having similarities with the protagonists of Odyssey -- Odysseus, Penelope and Poseidon.

    TumugonBurahin
  2. It's good that you wrote that you didn't like the film. Not many people like French New Wave films. They are very different from Hollywood films.

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Yes sir, I really find it boring. Unlike most Hollywood films that make me hook up on each scene presented.

      Burahin

Help me to make this blog better by posting your comments below. It will be appreciated. Thank you! :)